Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Reflection#1: Unit Q: Verifying Trig Identities

Hello fellow math analysis Students,
Encountering Unit Q, which deals with ratio identities, reciprocal identities, and Pythagorean identities, might seem overwhelming, I know that for me it did; but if you're like me, fear no more because dealing with this Unit does not have to be scary. I will answer question in hope that this will help you, so enjoy!


What does it actually mean to verify a trig identity?

-To actually "verify a trig identity" it basically means to demonstrate that both side of an equation given to you is equal to one another. The really cool thing about this Unit, is that there is not an actual method that you must preform in order to get it right, as compared to different Unit, where you must do certain steps in a certain order, well anyways, I do not want to get off on a tangent, get it? :) Well just keep in mind that you there are various steps you can take to verify a trig identity.

What tips and tricks have you found helpful?
- My tips and tricks to you is always try to reduce the larger side first and if that is not applicable then just try to have SIN and COS that always works. There are times, that having all the trig functions to one side can help. Another helpful hint is to remember that *Pythagorean Identities CANNOT be "powered up/and or down". I would also advise to make smart choices when using the ratio, reciprocal, and Pythagorean identities.

Explain your thought process and steps you take in verifying a trig identity.  Do not use a specific example, but speak in general terms of what you would do no matter what they give you.
 - My thought process and steps that I take to verify a trig identity is to try to get everything to SIN and COS first. I then try to find if any ratio, reciprocal, and Pythagorean identities would work to help me verify the trig identity. I would try to see if conjugating or finding the LCD or foiling anything would help me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment